Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/11

It has been 10 years since 9/11 happened.  That also means 10 years since I started my senior year of high school.  I remember getting ready for school and hearing what was happening to the twin towers.  I remember panicking that my relatives that worked in NYC were in danger or dead.  I remember panicking because I knew that meant war and that meant my dad would have to go.  For weeks several students at my school stayed home because they looked Middle Eastern or Muslim and they knew scared, ignorant people would do stupid things.  That made me even more scared for my dad too.  

During a 15 minute break at work, I saw this "ironic" cover of the Stranger.  I get it, the twin towers made up of "freedom" fries.  It's not funny.  I can't appreciate the self-congratulating, pseudo-complex, hipster humor that leaves out the actual complexity of 9/11 and doesn't actually push the boundaries of anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment